Policies for Physical Activity
- Provide brief bouts of physical activity before, during, or after sedentary classroom periods;
- Provide at least one daily period of recess for a minimum of 20 minutes (not to replace the PE requirement);
- Provide all students with opportunities to participate in intramural activities;
- Establish a Safe Routes to School program (active commuting);
- Ensure that physical activity cannot be taken away from students or be used as punishment; and
- Improve physical education policy language in the school district wellness policies.
- Assist school districts in assessing and developing or revising the State Education Department required Physical Education Plan.