| || |
The School Library System provides many online and digital resources, such as:
Mission Statement: The Oneida/Herkimer School Library System (O/H SLS) promotes and facilitates equitable access to information through coordinated resource sharing. We lead the investigation and introduction of effective technologies to our member libraries. The O/H SLS advocates for and provides resources to stake holders on the impact of librarians and libraries on student learning. By providing professional development, we assist members in adapting to the dynamic nature of digital and information literacy.
SEARCH for Success
– a program with single login access to all databases, including those purchased by districts, provided by SLS, and provided by New York State.
SNAP Resource Catalog
- The service has been building capacity in video management and streaming of digital content for the past several years. The video streaming content includes more than 50,000 titles in digital format. Access SNAP
CIDER Catalog for Interlibrary Loan
- The regional union catalog holds the combined collection of approximately 170 school libraries in three School Library Systems. Teachers and students can browse the catalog and place interlibrary loan request through their librarian.
Expanded Interlibrary Loan
- School Library System staff works with districts to borrow the resources not available locally through lending institutions across the U.S.
- The SLS provides consortium pricing and support services for a wide spectrum of databases to be used in instructions and research including periodicals (many full text), newpapers, references and visual images to participating school libraries. Example subscriptions may include: AP Photo Images, Facts on File, Grolier's Encyclopedia, ProQuest Direct, SIRS, World Book, etc..
Cooperative Collection Development
- Cooperative purchasing of books, e-books, DVDs and other library materials. Resources are housed in the district libraries, and are available for borrowing by other libraries through the shared regional catalog, CIDER. Existing library collections are improved and expanded trhough CCID.
Virtual Reference Library
- This service provides schools with direct access to e-reference books which are electronic version of hardcover reference books that gives users the advantage of searchability and access by multiple users simultaneously. The Virtual Reference Library includes access to TumbleBooks Library, Gale Virtual Reference Library and World Book Online.
- an interactive dictionary and thesaurus that creates word maps that blossom with meanings and branch to related words. Teachers have the ability to create customized word lists and spelling bees.
- This is a research platform for grades 4 and up, providing accurate citation tools, paperless note-taking and outlining, document archiving/annotation, student team collaboration, student/teacher feedback loop, Google Docs integration, and more. It is provided to all Oneida/Herkimer BOCES schools by the Oneida/Herkimer School Library System.
E-Textbooks This service coordinates the purchasing of e-textbooks with a per student pricing structure similar to that used in Media Services.
- An electronic resource of interviews with authors and illustrators with links to support resources and Web-related materials. If you read fiction and nonfiction books, in any discipline or setting, TeachingBooks.net's database of instructional materials will add depth to your lesson and provide standards related content.
- A virtual library of fiction and non-fiction audio and e-print books suitable for grades 6-12. Titles may be downloaded to all mobile devices, e-readers and computers. See Overdrive Help page
for device instructions and downloading apps instructions.